The Carolyn Sifton Foundation also has a General Program to support some exceptional projects that do not fall within the goals of the Youth at Risk Program and that have been identified by a board member.
General Guidelines for Granting ProgramsIn the Youth at Risk Program, The Carolyn Sifton Foundation welcomes proposals that fall within the mission statement and that meet the guidelines listed below. In the General Program, no unsolicited proposals will be accepted within, as the projects to be funded will be identified by board members.
- In general, the Foundation prefers to fund specific projects, preferably pilot projects or new initiatives; these could include capital items as well as operating costs.
- The Foundation will accept proposals only from charitable organizations in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Brockville, Ontario.
- The Foundation will consider multiple-year grants, but not exceeding three years.
- The Foundation favours challenge or matching grants.
- Projects should have explicitly measurable outcomes that support and further the Foundation's mission statement.
- Generally, the Foundation will not make grants of "Enduring Property" or "Specified Gifts to Qualified Donees" as the Foundation prefers to support "Gifts to Qualified Donees" as defined by Canada Revenue Agency and the Federal Income Tax Act.
- Generally, the Foundation will DECLINE requests to support the following:
- Grants to individuals.
- Organizations not recognized as charities by Canada Revenue Agency.
- Capital acquisitions, unless they are an integral part of a special project that the Foundation is supports.
- Conferences and travel.
- Publications, films, videos, and CDs.
- Deficits in operating budgets.
The Carolyn Sifton Foundation has a two-step application procedure, beginning with a two-page letter of inquiry, which should contain the following:
- A brief description of the project and purpose for which funding is sought.
- A brief description of the organization's history, objectives, and activities.
- A brief budget and timeline for the project.
|Letters of intent:||January 31, July 31|
|Full proposals:||March 31, September 15|